Azerbaijan announced on Thursday the death of 2,783 of its soldiers in the fighting that pitted Azerbaijani forces against Armenians for six weeks in the fall in the self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh republic.
2783 soldiers of the Azerbaijani armed forces were killed in the patriotic war, said the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry, adding that around 100 others were missing.
So far, Baku had not communicated its military losses, providing only the toll of Azerbaijani civilian casualties, ie 93 dead.
For its part, Armenia reported in mid-November the death of more than 2,300 of its soldiers in the conflict for control of Nagorno-Karabakh, which also claimed the lives of 50 Armenian civilians.
About 90,000 people, or 60% of the population of Nagorno-Karabakh, fled this mountainous enclave during the fighting.
A ceasefire agreement signed on November 9 between Baku and Yerevan, under Russian patronage, ended the six weeks of hostilities that began on September 27.
This agreement enshrined the victory of Azerbaijan and granted it important territorial gains, but allowed the survival of Nagorno-Karabakh, diminished, and saw the deployment of 2000 Russian peacekeepers.
This region populated mainly by Armenians seceded from Azerbaijan at the end of a war in the 1990s which left 30,000 dead.
Under the agreement, Armenia pledged to hand over to Azerbaijan three districts – Lachin, Aghdam and Kalbajar – which formed a buffer zone surrounding Karabakh and had been out of Baku control since 1994. The handover was completed Tuesday.
Four other districts with the same function had already been taken over by Baku during the six weeks of deadly fighting.
A large military parade will be organized in Baku on December 10 to celebrate this victory, according to the Azerbaijani authorities.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, a staunch ally of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliev, will visit Azerbaijan on December 9 and is expected to participate in the celebrations, according to the Turkish presidency.
In Armenia, the ceasefire agreement was considered catastrophic by a large number of residents. Part of the opposition called Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinian
traitor and demands his resignation.
For his part, Mr. akouPachinian says the agreement was signed at the request of the army and separatist officials to allow a large part of Nagorno-Karabakh to survive.
Read also :
- Nagorno-Karabakh: Armenians burn their homes before Azerbaijanis arrive
- Armenia's stability threatened after failure in Nagorno-Karabakh