At least 30 members of the Afghan forces were killed in a suicide car bomb attack on one of their bases on Sunday morning in eastern Ghazni province, officials said.
Thirty bodies and 24 injured were taken to hospital. All are members of the security forcesBaz Mohammad Hemat, director of Ghazni hospital, told AFP.
According to Interior Ministry spokesman Tareq Arian, the suicide bomber
used a car full of explosives, in Deh Yak district, around 7:30 a.m.
The suicide bomber ran straight inside the base with a Humvee vehicle and then detonated it, meanwhile told AFP the spokesperson for the governor of Ghazni, Wahidullah Jumazada.
The attack has not yet been claimed, but Ghazni province is the scene of relentless fighting between Afghan forces and the Taliban.
The Defense Ministry counted only 10 dead and 7 injured in a statement released in the early afternoon, but often minimizes the results of this type of incident.
Another suicide car bomb killed a civilian and injured 20 others on Sunday morning in the city of Qalat, capital of southern Zabol province, the provincial police chief told AFP. Hekmatullah Kochi.
The attack – which has so far not been claimed – targeted the car of the head of the Zabol provincial council, Atta Jan Haqbayan, who was injured, he said.
If they stopped targeting American forces as part of the agreement with the United States signed in February in Doha, the Taliban have however only intensified their violence against Afghan forces since.
They attack them daily across the country despite peace talks between the two camps still ongoing in Qatar.
These negotiations began on September 12, but are progressing at a senator's train due in particular to disagreements on the simple rules of discussions. The two sides were also unable to agree on a ceasefire.
Violence that spares no one
The violence also affects civilians. At least 14 of them were killed in central Afghanistan on Tuesday when two bombs exploded in Bamiyan, a city famous for its Buddhas destroyed by the Taliban – yet considered the least dangerous in the country.
These explosions have not been claimed.
In the past six months, the Taliban have carried out 53 suicide attacks and carried out 1,250 bombings, which have left 1,210 dead and 2,500 injured among civilians, the interior ministry said last week.
The jihadist group Islamic State has also claimed responsibility for bloody attacks in Kabul in recent weeks, including two on educational centers, as well as rocket attacks, which have killed more than 50 civilians.
Meanwhile, US troops continue to leave the country. Washington has indeed committed to withdraw all its troops from Afghanistan by mid-2021 in exchange for security guarantees from the insurgents, according to the agreement signed between the two camps.
Since the signing of the text, the air support of the American forces to the Afghan forces has drastically decreased.
The Pentagon announced in mid-November that some 2,000 troops would be withdrawn from Afghanistan by January 15: five days before President-elect Biden takes office, only 2,500 will remain.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met with the Afghan government and the Taliban separately in Doha last week, and called for a significant reduction in violence and an acceleration of talks.
Read also :
- Afghanistan: at least 10 dead in rocket fire in Kabul
- Afghan authorities have started releasing the remaining 400 Taliban prisoners
- NATO warns of hasty military withdrawal from Afghanistan