Armenia and Azerbaijan accuse each other of violations of the truce

| |

[page_hero_img]
Spread the love


Reuters

Azerbaijan and Armenia accused each other on Saturday of new attacks in the conflict around Nagorno-Karabakh, an Azerbaijani breakaway region populated mostly by Armenians, a week after the entry into force of a ceasefire. fire without effect on the ground.

Azerbaijan claims that 13 civilians were killed and more than 50 injured by Armenian missile fire at a residential area in Ganja, the country's second largest city. About 20 buildings were affected in the attack, according to the Azerbaijani authorities.

Armenia has rejected these accusations and for its part reported continued Azerbaijani bombing. The Azerbaijani president accused Armenia of a war crime with this bombardment on Gandja.

They will bear the responsibility (…) If the international community does not punish Armenia, we will,

Ilham Aliev, President of Azerbaijan

He added that the Azerbaijani army had taken full control of two areas previously held by the Nagorno-Karabakh separatist forces, Fizuli and Jabrayil. We rule the battlefield, asserted Ilham Aliev, assuring that the Azerbaijani army never targeted civilian installations.

He reiterated that Azerbaijan would only cease its offensive with the withdrawal of Armenia from Nagorno-Karabakh.

In Gandja, rescuers were busy amid the rubble of buildings on Saturday morning, a Reuters photographer noted. Some houses were almost completely destroyed.

Civilian casualties

We have been living in fear for days (…) We are suffering a lot. We would rather die. I wish we were dead, but our children would survive, 58-year-old resident Emina Aliyeva told reporters.

The Armenian Defense Ministry has dismissed charges of bombing cities in Azerbaijan and accused Baku of continuing to shell inhabited areas in Nagorno-Karabakh, including the region's main city, Stepanakert.

Three civilians were injured by Azerbaijani gunfire, the Armenian foreign ministry said. A Reuters cameraman in Stepanakert said he heard several explosions on Friday evening and Saturday morning.

Armenia has also accused Azerbaijan of attacking military installations and damaging civilian infrastructure in its territory using drones.

Azerbaijan on Saturday reported 60 civilians killed and 270 wounded since the start of the fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh on September 27. He did not provide a record of his army.

Nagorno-Karabakh for its part has a toll of 633 dead within its armed forces and 34 civilians killed.

Read also :

  • 4 questions to understand the conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan
  • Is Canada Violating the Arms Trade Treaty?


Spread the love
Previous

Federico Fagioli: The Bolivian Government detains an Argentine deputy at the La Paz airport | International

Media: heads of defense departments of Turkey and Azerbaijan held telephone talks

Next

Leave a Comment

Adblock
detector