Trump campaign team's Twitter account briefly blocked

| |

Spread the love


Radio-Canada

The Twitter account of Donald Trump's campaign team was briefly blocked Thursday, creating anger among Republicans, who accuse social media of censorship.

Twitter temporarily blocked the @TeamTrump account after the latter posted a video about Hunter Biden, the son of Democratic candidate Joe Biden. This violated the platform's rules for publishing private information and pirated material.

The video in question referred to a controversial article by New York Post published Wednesday in which we find information from emails illegally retrieved from a personal computer linked to Hunter Biden.

These emails serve to rekindle the accusations leveled against the Democratic candidate for the White House by the camp of Donald Trump, according to whom he would have helped, through his son, the Ukrainian gas group Burisma to escape investigations for corruption . Hunter Biden served from 2014 to 2019 on the company's supervisory board.

Twitter has also been looking to resolve a global outage since around 5:30 p.m. (EDT) Thursday, after two days of controversy over this report from the New York Post and the suspension of several accounts. We know people have problems tweeting and using Twitter. We are looking to resolve this issue as quickly as possible., confirmed a spokesperson for the Californian group. The reasons for the failure are not yet known.

A Twitter spokesperson confirmed Thursday that the @TeamTrump account, along with those of the New York Post and White House spokeswoman Kayleigh McEnany, had been blocked for the same reasons.

He said administrators of those accounts may need to delete tweets that break the rules in order to resume posting.

The president's campaign account, which is followed by 2.2 million people, was up and running again on Thursday afternoon, although the Republican camp reposted the problematic video on Hunter Biden.

A Twitter spokesperson said the new post was edited to avoid violating its policy and therefore no action would be taken to block the account again.

As to New York Post, his Twitter account still appears to have been suspended, with the Conservative newspaper's last tweet dating from Wednesday, while Kayleigh McEnany's account appears to have been reactivated early Thursday afternoon.

It will all end in a gigantic chase, predicted Donald Trump, when asked about Twitter's decision to suspend these accounts.

Republicans in fury

Republicans, including many big names, were quick to denounce the case. Senate Republican Majority Leader Mitch McConnell claimed blocking this article was objectionable and that there should be no such restriction on freedom of expression in the United States.

Furious, Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham, along with Republican Senators Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley, have let it be known that they will initiate proceedings to summon Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey on October 23, a dozen days before the presidential election.

Senator Josh Hawley has indicated that he intends to do the same with Facebook.

We're finally gonna have accountability, it's high timesaid Lindsey Graham.

On the Democratic side, Joe Biden's campaign spokesman, Andrew Bates, confined himself to recalling that the Senate, with a Republican majority, had already concluded that the candidate had not committed any reprehensible act in connection with the Ukraine.

Lack of context

On Wednesday night, the Twitter co-founder did some sort of mea culpa. <q data-attributes = "{" lang ": {" value ":" fr "," label ":" Français "}," value ": {" html ":" Our communication on our actions concerning the article ofNew York Postwas not great. And block sharing of the article's web address with no context explaining why, this is unacceptable, "" text ":" Our communication on our actions regarding the New York Post article was not great. And block the sharing of the Internet address of the article without context explaining why, it is unacceptable "}}" lang = "fr”>Our communication on our actions concerning the article of New York Post was not great. And block the sharing of the Internet address of the article without context explaining why, it is unacceptable, said Jack Dorsey.

In the hours following the publication of the article in New York Post Wednesday, Facebook and Twitter have indeed taken measures to restrict its distribution and visibility on their respective platforms.

Twitter suspended accounts and prevented sharing of the article's URL, while Facebook reduced how often content could appear in users' news feeds.

This is what we do if we have signals that a piece of content is false, Facebook spokesperson Andy Stone said.

Read also :

  • Twitter suspends Trump campaign account for misinformation
With information from Reuters


Spread the love
Previous

Trump-backed entrepreneur pleads guilty to lobbying violations in U.S.

Pashinyan urged Washington and Paris to support Moscow's efforts to resolve Karabakh

Next

Leave a Comment

Adblock
detector